Re: Privacy policy

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 05:01:00 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 10:51 PM 14-04-2018, Ish Sookun wrote:
>IMHO the office isn't pro-active. They are waiting that people come
>forward with complaints rather than being the watchdog of privacy and
>acting upon an international media reporting[1] that Mauritius was a
>client of SCL Group.

The Data Protection Office is not a watchdog in the way people may
expect. One of its tasks is to investigate complaints. There were
nine complaints related to data protection in 2017. In several
cases, the complainants did not do much after the complaints were filed.

If a company sets up a web site to publish news, does it qualify as
"international media"? I'll point out that before the internet was
in wide news, it was not easy to access information from outside the
island. Nowadays, anyone can set up an "international" web
site. According to the India Editor, SCL Elections claims to have
worked in several countries, including Mauritius. I could not find
any information which supports that claim. Why do you believe that
the claim is valid?