Re: Innovating your way out

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 09:42:47 +0400

Hi Ajay, Martin,

On 27/04/17 09:28, Ajay R Ramjatan wrote:
> My understanding is that if you're a freelance, the copyright on your
> original work belongs to you unless you have a contractual arrangement
> with your client regarding copyright. If the work was created in course
> of an employment, copyright would be owned by your employer. To be sure,
> I would hire an IP lawyer for advice.

That's what I understood too from the lawyer's explanation yesterday. If
your job contract does not specifically say that you're allowed to keep
rights of "some work" or whether those are joint rights with the
company, then it is "de facto" that the copyright owner will be the
employer and not the employee.

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.