Re: Innovating your way out

From: Ajay R Ramjatan <ajay.ramjatan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 09:28:34 +0400

Hello Martin,

My understanding is that if you're a freelance, the copyright on your
original work belongs to you unless you have a contractual arrangement with
your client regarding copyright. If the work was created in course of an
employment, copyright would be owned by your employer. To be sure, I would
hire an IP lawyer for advice.

I remember following heated discussions on photography groups on Facebook
where Mauritian photographers were arguing about whether a photographer or
the client own copyright when wedding photos are taken for example.

It is common for websites to be built from other copyrighted components.
For instance, bootstrap is a popular framework for building websites. The
authors of bootstrap allows their work to be used both personally and
commercially, provided some conditions are met. For example, users are
required to keep intact, the accompanying copyright notice.