Re: Fwd: Re: WHOIS public API

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:45:26 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 09:41 10-04-2017, Ish Sookun wrote:
>We spoke off-list about the term API and the request I sent to AFRINIC.
>My understanding of the below is that AFRINIC only has a WHOIS and a
>RDAP server. Could you please confirm whether I understood it well?

The technical specification for Whois [1] states that it is for the
Whois protocol. The explanation which you forward described it as a
"public remote API". In my opinion, the RFC does not specify an
Application Programming Interface (API). RDAP is supposed to be a
replacement of Whois. If you try the link which you were provided
for RDAP, you will get a JSON output as the RDAP server generates
structured output for your RDAP client can parse. I have not looked
into Afrinic's implementation of RDAP to find out whether it works
correctly. I assume that you were asking for documentation about an
API which specifies the how you can interact with a service, e.g. how
to access the service, what input to send and what output you will
receive. You would have to read the RDAP RFCs mentioned in the
explanation to understand how to do that.

1. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3912.txt