Re: Open Data in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 23:00:01 -0800

Hi Martin,
At 22:13 27-01-2017, Martin wrote:
>Information is key, it must be free. We as citizens have the
>responsibility to keep an eye on the government. When a new leader
>emerge, she has the power to erase information from her predecessor,
>as it has been the case in the US last week.
>Now I have been looking at some websites which could suffer from
>these issues. What if we setup an archiving system ?
>Obviously open data is way behind government's current topics ( I
>lack information on this, if someone have insights, thanks for
>sharing ). So let's build this ourselves.
>Evolving from internet users to internet makers.

It is not easy to set up an archiving system as the maintenance costs
can be quite high. Someone would also have to find volunteers to do
the work. The approach of the local groups is to attract university
students. The students unfortunately lack the technical skills to do
the work. It might take over a year to mentor a student who is
interested in having an adequate level of technical skills.

I prefer not to do much about internet makers as it could conflict
with my non-local responsibilities. That does not mean that other
people should not do that.