Re: Open Data in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:11:58 +0400

Hi SM,

On 01/28/2017 11:00 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> It is not easy to set up an archiving system as the maintenance costs
> can be quite high. Someone would also have to find volunteers to do the
> work. The approach of the local groups is to attract university
> students. The students unfortunately lack the technical skills to do
> the work. It might take over a year to mentor a student who is
> interested in having an adequate level of technical skills.

I understand your concern about costs. We need to keep in mind that Open
Data is a project of national interest. We can reach out to private
companies, the Mauritius Research Council, the National Computer Board
etc to help with infrastructure. In my opinion, that should not be a
tough job but would require patience & diplomacy.

As such formalizing this group would have helped, though it is not
necessary.

I would not expect students to show interest at this stage but only
after something is up & running and they'd see the benefit.

Cheers,

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.