Re: Qu'est-ce qu'un Hackathon?

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 14:00:52 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 12:46 02-11-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>The video correctly credits OpenBSD for the word hackathon. [removed]
>has been heavily influenced by OpenBSD when we organized the first
>Linux hackathon in Mauritius, codename Operation S.A.D. I believe that
>Operation S.A.D was structured very closely to how OpenBSD hackathons
>are organized. The video is misleading in that aspect: no mention of
>Operation S.A.D hackathon, or code competitions, that happened before
>the krakathon.

I'll disclose that I know some of the employees of the company which
produced the video.

I watched the video and I could not find anything misleading as
OpenBSD was given credit. The part after that was about such
events in other parts of the world. I doubt that the press would be
interested in an event which is similar to what has been done
before. It is up to the organiser of an event to market his/her event.

One of the organiser explained that he never tried to pass the event
as a "first" in Mauritius (
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2016/11/5874.html
).

>We are happy to see the positive influence of [removed] hackathon on
>the krakathon even if there are some fundamental differences. The
>black t-shirts, free food & free wifi match closely what we did during
>Operation S.A.D :)

I don't know whether there has been any positive influence as a web
search does not show any information from unbiased sources to support that.

Is the problem about which tech group is the most important on the island?