Re: Qu'est-ce qu'un Hackathon?

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 10:35:55 +0400

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
> At 12:46 02-11-2016, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>>
>> The video correctly credits OpenBSD for the word hackathon. [removed]
>> has been heavily influenced by OpenBSD when we organized the first
>> Linux hackathon in Mauritius, codename Operation S.A.D. I believe that
>> Operation S.A.D was structured very closely to how OpenBSD hackathons
>> are organized. The video is misleading in that aspect: no mention of
>> Operation S.A.D hackathon, or code competitions, that happened before
>> the krakathon.
>

> I'll disclose that I know some of the employees of the company which
> produced the video.
>
> I watched the video and I could not find anything misleading as OpenBSD was
> given credit. The part after that was about such events in other parts of
> the world. I doubt that the press would be interested in an event which is
> similar to what has been done before. It is up to the organiser of an event
> to market his/her event.

The organizer did acknowledge in a later article on their own website.
The marketting partner mis-characterized the event as the first
hackathon: see the first few seconds of the presentation "Le premier
evenement hackathon se deroule a i'ile Maurice":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCWZgE57pAs

Jonathan Siao & Avinash Meetoo (disclosure: he is also a honorary
member of hackers.mu) organized a hackathon in 2012:

http://www.knowledge7.com/2012/10/22/hacking-at-the-hackathon/

> One of the organiser explained that he never tried to pass the event as a
> "first" in Mauritius (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2016/11/5874.html
> ).
>
>> We are happy to see the positive influence of [removed] hackathon on
>> the krakathon even if there are some fundamental differences. The
>> black t-shirts, free food & free wifi match closely what we did during
>> Operation S.A.D :)
>

> I don't know whether there has been any positive influence as a web search
> does not show any information from unbiased sources to support that.

A participant in the krakathon talked about hackers.mu influence:

http://bilaalabdel.com/krakathon-day-1/

Is it biased ? Well, the guy is not a member of hackers.mu.

> Is the problem about which tech group is the most important on the island?

Not at all :-) As we said in official tweets, we are happy to see
other groups organizing hackathons/coding competitions. During
inventors day, I talked about how it was important for more groups to
organize more developer events.

hackers.mu will be present during devcon next year. We also gave a
presentation on our work during MSCC meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/MauritiusSoftwareCraftsmanshipCommunity/events/228864491/

We also sponsored (in-kind sponsorship) the devcon event this year,
and we were listed together with the other communities.

However, there has been a conflict between a subset of people in LUGM
and hackers.mu. The Linux community in Mauritius has split up since a
while now. A blogger is writing an article about the split of the
Linux community in Mauritius in a fair & balanced manner.