Digital communication

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:07:13 -0700

Hello,

According to TNS Analysis, "400,000 Mauritian users, Facebook still
has the lion share of Social Network usage: it is used daily by 37%
of the Mauritian population while Google + reach 5%, Twitter 4% and
Instagram 2%". That is based on a survey from 2014. TNS Analysis
also stated that: "The wealthiest Mauritians are more heavily using
Facebook compared to other Mauritians" and that "by consequence,
Mauritian companies are still using quasi exclusively Facebook in
their digital communication strategy".

Facebook is heavily used in Mauritius as it has critical
mass. Before that, there wasn't any venue where people in Mauritius
can freely express themselves. My guess is that some of the
teenagers have shifted from Facebook to Snapchat. I have some doubts
about whether the statement about wealth is correct. I would say
that there are two main groups; one where people use Facebook as
that's the local view of the internet, and a group of people who are
not online.

There has been a change in the digital communication strategy of some
companies as they probably noticed what their foreign competitors are
doing. Some local media companies have been exploring new
approaches. I doubt that they could show that those approaches are
effective as there isn't any analysis available.