RE: Digital communication

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 21:10:46 +0400

Hello SM,

> According to TNS Analysis, "400,000 Mauritian users, Facebook still
> has the lion share of Social Network usage: it is used daily by 37%
> of the Mauritian population while Google + reach 5%, Twitter 4% and
> Instagram 2%". That is based on a survey from 2014. TNS Analysis
> also stated that: "The wealthiest Mauritians are more heavily using
> Facebook compared to other Mauritians" and that "by consequence,
> Mauritian companies are still using quasi exclusively Facebook in
> their digital communication strategy".

Even though a survey is not really required to say that Facebook is the most popular and used social network in Mauritius, I would like to know if there was any recent survey done for this year. There is not much regarding the Social Network usage in Mauritius on the Internet. Based on the survey you mentioned above, I am sure there has been a drastic change over the past few months. I have noticed more Mauritian profiles on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Regarding Mauritian Companies, it seems that having a Facebook page seems more important than a website itself. I must admit that it seriously bugs me whenever I go on a company's website and see that it focus more on its Facebook link rather than updating the website content. I think it is more professional if a company has a website rather than a Facebook page.

> Facebook is heavily used in Mauritius as it has critical
> mass. Before that, there wasn't any venue where people in Mauritius
> can freely express themselves. My guess is that some of the
> teenagers have shifted from Facebook to Snapchat. I have some doubts
> about whether the statement about wealth is correct. I would say
> that there are two main groups; one where people use Facebook as
> that's the local view of the internet, and a group of people who are
> not online.

I agree that there are two main groups and I know people from these two groups. I think it's all about priority and needs.

> There has been a change in the digital communication strategy of some
> companies as they probably noticed what their foreign competitors are
> doing. Some local media companies have been exploring new
> approaches. I doubt that they could show that those approaches are
> effective as there isn't any analysis available.

It is good to know that there are more people connecting via social networks but are they all aware of the dangers as well? What about the number of frauds, Identity theft etc? What is being done to avoid such issues? Coming back to Facebook, there is no evidence that the Government made any request to Facebook despite the number of cases reported.

https://govtrequests.facebook.com/
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/cybercrime-facebook-mauritius.html
https://hacklog.mu/did-the-government-make-requests-to-facebook/

http://www.analysis.im/uploads/filemanager/Management_Barometer_-_June_2015.pdf