Re: Information and Communication Technologies Board

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:16:42 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 10:25 15-08-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Section 5.1(c) of the ICT Act 2001 says:
>
> The Authority shall be administered and managed by the
> Information and
>Communication Technologies Board known as the ICT Board which consists
>of [...] 5 other members *appointed by the Minister*, after consultation
>with the ICT Advisory Council.
>
>Now from the above you can draw it that the local practice might
>certainly be like "government is government, government decides" and
>that the council acts just as a rubber stamp. Keep in mind that members
>of the council themselves are nominated by the minister.

I read some Microsoft LinkedIn profiles where "ICT Advisory Council"
was mentioned [1]. In my opinion it might not be a good reference to
list a council which acts as a rubber stamp.

>The section of the act that you mention broadly talks about
>qualifications, expertise and experience but there is no strict
>requirement in terms of number of years in a field or a proven record of
>something. Therefore one may argue that having done legal studies
>satisfies the "law" criteria, being a cashier satisfies "finance" and
>that having a degree in computer science means you're *qualified*.

The number of years in a field does not mean that a person has a
proven record of something. For example, a bachelor's degree in
computer science says that the person has learned about computer
science theory. It does not prove that the person has work
experience or expertise. Would the person who has done legal studies
be able to make arguments about a case relating to information
technology? Qualification is about whether the person is by training
or experience able to do the job.

>The fun part is also that "an objection" might not go on record. To be
>honest here; I am learning; a lot. The experience in the council taught
>me much about how gov officials subjugate to pressure & fear of
>reprisals from higher officials and the minister. My 2 cents here; the
>opinion of others could/would differ.

Two years ago, a person showed me a news article [2]. A web search
would show that the opinion was not ignored. What is the use of
being on advisory council if the person cannot have an objection go
on record? It is understandable that a junior engineer might be
afraid to say anything. How would it look if an experienced engineer
acted in the same manner?

>Meanwhile some (in the ICTA context) would shamelessly hide behind the
>third schedule (oath of secrecy) of the ICT Act; even if a question
>amounts to general information. No one wants to compromise his/her comfy
>seat. You recall the quest to find the missing annual reports of the ICT
>Authority. My several emails to the several ministers went
>un-unanswered; the request through the council also went to /dev/null.

There was a radio show last Saturday [3]. There was a question about
the ICTA annual reports near the end of the show. There was a
message from the Chairperson of the ICT Advisory Council in which he
stated that he made a request for the latest ICTA reports to be
circulated to all members of the Council. It has been ten months and
those annual reports are still unavailable.

>Now, if this answer still does not shed some light, you may contact the
>Secretary of the council, Mr Soharaj Pandoo, for an official answer. You

Thanks for the answer.

1. https://www.linkedin.com/title/ict-advisory-council
2.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2044392/googles-chances-to-obtain-dotless-httpsearch-domain-are-shrinking.html