Re: Information and Communication Technologies Board

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:25:31 +0400

Hi SM,

On 08/14/2016 01:44 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> What qualifications are required for internet matters? Do members of
> the ICT Advisory Council do a Facebook search or a Google search to find
> out whether the person has experience and experience in internet matters?

Section 5.1(c) of the ICT Act 2001 says:

        The Authority shall be administered and managed by the Information and
Communication Technologies Board known as the ICT Board which consists
of [...] 5 other members *appointed by the Minister*, after consultation
with the ICT Advisory Council.

Now from the above you can draw it that the local practice might
certainly be like "government is government, government decides" and
that the council acts just as a rubber stamp. Keep in mind that members
of the council themselves are nominated by the minister.

The section of the act that you mention broadly talks about
qualifications, expertise and experience but there is no strict
requirement in terms of number of years in a field or a proven record of
something. Therefore one may argue that having done legal studies
satisfies the "law" criteria, being a cashier satisfies "finance" and
that having a degree in computer science means you're *qualified*.

The fun part is also that "an objection" might not go on record. To be
honest here; I am learning; a lot. The experience in the council taught
me much about how gov officials subjugate to pressure & fear of
reprisals from higher officials and the minister. My 2 cents here; the
opinion of others could/would differ.

Meanwhile some (in the ICTA context) would shamelessly hide behind the
third schedule (oath of secrecy) of the ICT Act; even if a question
amounts to general information. No one wants to compromise his/her comfy
seat. You recall the quest to find the missing annual reports of the ICT
Authority. My several emails to the several ministers went
un-unanswered; the request through the council also went to /dev/null.

Now, if this answer still does not shed some light, you may contact the
Secretary of the council, Mr Soharaj Pandoo, for an official answer. You
will find his email address at
http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Dept-Bodies/Pages/ICTAdvisoryCouncil.aspx.