Re: CERT-MU home constituency

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:28:38 +0400

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 03/08/16 10:55, CERT-MU contact wrote:
> Thanks for your email. Please note that incident statistics are posted on our website on a monthly basis which also includes the incidents reported by the individuals ( they may be home users or reporting it on a personal basis while working for any organisation).
>
> Hope this helps. If you have any specific query, please let us know.

Thank you for the reply.

On the CERT-MU website I found this image
(http://cert-mu.govmu.org/English/PublishingImages/Banner/banner1.png)
that shows a chart for incidents stats for the month of June 2016. Since
the banner is the first in the slider and the name is banner1.png, I
assume the same banner will show stats of month July 2016 in August. It
is therefore not possible to obtain yearly aggregated stats. I used the
search feature of the website but results for "incidents statistics" are
not helpful either.

The chart only shows the percentage for 8 categories of incidents out of
96 incidents reported to CERT-MU in June, as far as I understand. The
categories are vague and do not elaborate on the threat. For example I
have a confusion between "compromised email accounts" and "hacked accounts".

What would be the definition of a "hacked account"?

1. Is accessing someone's Facebook account while the person is
away-from-keyboard considered as a hack?
2. Is accessing someone's Facebook account knowing the person's password
considered as a hack?
3. Is posting to someone's Facebook wall through an app that was
authorized by the person considered as a hack?

The above are some questions that prompted when I looked at the banner.
However, my specific research is about Ransomware incidents and the
extent is has affected households and local businesses. I know many
cases go un-reported due to the lack of knowledge about who does what. I
have met and talked to people affected by Ransomware who never heard
about CERT-MU before. Upon telling them about CERT-MU the only question
that comes up then is "whether CERT-MU can help recover the data or find
the rogue behind"?

Summing up, I would like to know the following about Ramsomware incidents:

1. the number of incidents reported by home users and local businesses
since January 2015.
2. the number of incidents reported by government institutions.
3. whether any local bank has reported ransomware cases.
4. the number of incidents reported to the Cybercrime Unit for further
investigation.
5. the different types of ransomware incidents reported.

Grateful if I could obtain the above. Thanking you in anticipation.

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.