Re: National Innovation Framework

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:04:22 +0400

Hi SM,

On 18/06/16 12:54, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I read https://hacklog.mu/national-innovation-framework/ Yesterday, I
> read about a Startup in South Africa. I also watched a video about
> Shenzhen, China. I found them innovating. One of the interesting part
> of the Startup was that it created much more than a web site. In
> comparison with local web sites, it looks like companies expect web
> developers to find the ideas. Is that why those local web sites are not
> innovative?

I was having a discussion with a colleague today and he tossed the words
"creative director". Are web developers expected to be creative directors?

> There are stores where you can buy parts for a hardware product. The
> price to fix a smartphone screen was Rs 780. For what it is worth,
> there are local stores which offer similar services. It is probably
> much more expensive, in Mauritius, to fix a smartphone screen. The cost
> of an imitation of the iPhone, which was available before the genuine
> product was launched, was Rs 5,200.

It costs me less to buy something from aliexpress.com and ship it to
Mauritius, than to post someone a product within Mauritius through
Mauritius Post. I can understand the hurdle for local businesses just to
go fully online.

It won't be easy to compete with the "wholesale" price from int'l stores
and less expensive "shipping" cost. The only downside for us, online
shopping users, would be the time to wait.

> I see that you counted the number of times the word "we" was mentioned.
> :-) What was the feedback about 100 Mbits/sec local access?

Oh, it wasn't me who counted. :)
The feedback on the 100Mbit/s local access is mixed. One person said
Mauritius does not have an internet problem and that 10Mbit/s over fiber
for households is sufficient. Another person acknowledged that local
access will be beneficial to business and encourage more people to host
locally.

P.S. This email was sent using free WiFi on the University of Mauritius
campus at 18h04. :)

Cheers,