Re: Ecoute telephoniques

From: Mohammad Irshaad Abdool <mohammad.abdool_at_ogr.sakarya.edu.tr>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 12:16:48 +0300

Hi SM,

No I have not tried the app in Mauritius yet and how to make sure that it
actually works or not is another issue; maybe DIYing a catcher and testing
the app using same may help.

About the end-to-end encryption about WhatsApp; they (WhatsApp) wrote [1] :
"WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption is available when you and the people you
message use the latest versions of our app. Many messaging apps only
encrypt messages between you and them, but WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption
ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read what is
sent, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp. This is because your
messages are secured with a lock, and only the recipient and you have the
special key needed to unlock and read them. For added protection, every
message you send has its own unique lock and key. All of this happens
automatically: no need to turn on settings or set up special secret chats
to secure your messages."

I feel quite insecure about that End-to-End thing and do not think that it
is reliable.

Regarding the OpenSSL, I assume that he meant encrypted traffic etc, but
SSL Stripping etc came to my mind then. Sincerely, I am not sure relative
to the link you posted, and I may have to dig a little further about it.

Regards;

[1] - https://www.whatsapp.com/security/

--
*Mohammad Irshaad Abdool*