Access to information (was: Des menaces contre une famille sur Facebook)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 02:04:43 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 23:10 02-05-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>A few days ago I mentioned about FOIA in a post on Linkedin
>(https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/freedom-information-act-make-mauritius-smarter-ish-sookun)
>while tossing my opinion on Smart Cities. A Freedom of Information
>Act would help in measuring achievements of a ministry, so I believe.

An Access to Information law would be help to get statistics (and
data). A civic group can, currently, either take decisions based on
the beliefs of its members or take decisions based on gossip. I
don't think that either of those approaches is a good way to take a
decision. Your post is about whether it is smart to have more
buildings or better access to information.

>The counter on the mentioned website is one way of putting pressure
>on the authorities. A well formed request by the Mauritius Internet
>Users would be another way of adding pressure. Unless different
>forces mount pressure on the authorities, we shall not see any
>Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in the near future.

A subscriber will have to volunteer to write that well formed
request. Are there any volunteers?