Re: Council Reports for the year 2015

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:54:49 +0400

Hi SM,

On 03/12/2016 12:25 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I would like to suggest "publishing" the views of all the
> representatives of consumers on issues which are said to have been
> raised by consumers as the Information and Communication Technologies
> Act states that those members are representing consumers. There is a
> representative of the Joint Economic Council on the Council. Would the
> person be allowed to report back views which have been expressed on
> behalf of the Joint Economic Council or would the person only be allowed
> to communicate the decision?

Ideally that would be preferable to prone transparency. However, if it
is not happening at the moment, I will not put energy into that for the
simple reason that there are other matters that require the energy. As I
mentioned in a previous email, we'll reach for "transparency" slowly but
surely with the coming of a "right to information". Should I put my
energy into doing the education for members right now? I do not think so.

I will spend time & energy within my capacity when issues are shared
with me and I shall properly raise those for discussion within the
Council. I cannot speak for the Joint Economic Council or any other
institution. If I do not know how an institution operate and their
purpose of existence, it will be reckless for me to comment.

I prefer to address issues within my capacity as a member of the Council
representing "consumers". The Council is not an "authority" but a body
that advises the Minister. Whether to adopt or reject an advisory by the
Council remains at the discretion of the Minister.

Cheers,

- I blog at HACKLOG.mu.