RE: Council Reports for the year 2015

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:38:56 +0400

Hello Ish,

Thank you for bringing the matter to the ICT Advisory Council. It is encouraging to see that at least one of the members representing consumers in the ICT Advisory Council has been able to honor the responsibility assigned to him by following problems from some Internet users.

>The topics were debated over
> some lengthy minutes and it was agreed that the three members (as
> published on MTCI website [1]) representing "consumers" may compile the
> requests, ideas, feedback and complaints of consumers and bring those to
> the Council meetings for a proper debate. I recall having initially
> asked you to address issues directly to the Secretary of the Council.
> It's been now agreed that each member representing "consumers" may
> accept those emails and address accordingly.

Yes, you told us to report such matters directly to the Secretary of the Council as you did not have the Council's approval back then. I can see a positive outcome from today's meeting.

> Regarding council reports, although it appeared a favorable idea for
> transparency, at the end of the debate it was retained that any
> "publishing" remains at the discretion of the Minister, if it is not
> expressly stated in the ICT Act. However, it was also agreed that
> matters brought up members representing consumers, will be debated and
> the members can report back. At this stage though it is not the minutes
> of meetings that would be communicated but only the decision of the
> Council resulting those debates.

Okay.

> The Council is hoping that things will evolve & change with time; slowly
> but surely.

Okay.

> Transparency will be a pressing matter as the pressure for the "Right to
> Information" grows. We should all be able to capitalize on that.
> I will start a separate thread on the "Right to Information" after some
> ground work done.

>I forgot to add in the previous email I also raised the issues
>pertaining to:

>- ICTA Annual Reports
>- GOC Compliance Standards

>The Secretary will do the necessary to re-ping the concerned bodies for
>an update.I understand that it will take some time for the ICT Advisory Council to share the reports. Rest assure that I respect the ICT Advisory Council decision. Kindly note that the only thing I expect is answers and feedback to questions and any queries subscribers will be requesting.

>[1] http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Dept-Bodies/Pages/ICTAdvisoryCouncil.aspx

Kind regards,
Shelly