Re: Security implications

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 11:33:14 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 08:47 09-03-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Thanks for the link. It's a shame that the Mauritius Police Force
>continues an abuse of "provisional charge" while it's been raised at
>the UN International Human Rights Council.

News travels fast nowadays. How would it look if I describe the
island as paradise when the person I am talking is aware of the
above? I am not interested in violating an obligation of candor.

>There is no license required to offer free WiFi as per my knowledge.
>I have never come across any security recommendation or guideline by
>local authorities with regards to WiFi access. In fact, when I owned
>a cybercafe at Flacq, on a few occasions I had the visit of "brigade
>des mineurs"
>(http://police.govmu.org/English/Organisation/Units/Pages/Police-Family-Protection-Unit-.aspx).
>They visited the cybercafe but never complained about any lack of
>security measure. I suppose if there were any shortcoming, they
>would have told me.

A few weeks back, a reporter from L'Express asked me a question, if I
recall correctly, about WiFi and licensing. I replied that I did not
know the answer to the question. I did some research afterwards and
gave up as the documents I read were confusing.

It is not up to that police unit to provide guidance about security
measure as this matter is about information technology instead of
police work. Is there some authority on the island which publishes
security recommendations? The closest thing I could find is
CERT-MU. I have interacted with CERT (the US version) to know the difference.

The lesson from all this is that people do not think about the
security implications until they end up in trouble. This is when the
person becomes aware of the legal or financial implications.