Re: Front-end developer

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 04:05:49 -0800

Hi all,

The boundaries encapsulating what is a front-end developer and his/her
duties are fading away as HTML, CSS and JavaScript are becoming more
feature-rich. JavaScript, specially, is evolving as a client-side
scripting language to a server-side scripting language. This is a
drastic on-going change showing a new trend where Front-end developers
are empowered to create any website they want without having to master a
different language than JavaScript itself. However, this does not change
the fact that most Front-end developers, I know in Mauritius, still have
to work their way in common server-side scripting languages as PHP and
ASP.net, for example.

In my opinion, very soon, there will be no such thing as a "front-end
developer". This is an endangered title that is held by people who work
in specific web technologies to create user interfaces (something the
user can see and interact with on a website) solely. Through, possibly,
bad understanding, people with that title are expected to not only work
towards user interfaces but user experiences. Sometimes they are
expected to work in graphic designing and other times, to have an
above-beginner understanding of server-side technologies. Is this
expansion in duty good or bad? Does it reflect, for instance, on the
salary? Is the above expectation well communicated to them on the job's
description?

Front-end and Back-end developers have separate duties but through the
past few years, these duties have been slowly merged and we saw the rise
of Full-stack developers. This new role can be a threat to both
Front-end and Back-end developers. To what extent do companies, in need
of a website, understand the distinction among those three titles[1] is
unsure.

Regards,
Mike

1.