RE: Young people and NGOs (was: Invitation to a One-day Workshop on 'The Model Law on Access to Information')

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:03:08 +0400

Hello SM,

> A person representing a trade union and a few other persons from NGOs
> (two of them were about the public health services) were open in
> expressing their concerns. There was an informal comment about young
> people not being interested in NGOs.

I think it is difficult to be involved in NGOs especially for working people. It is interesting to be part of an NGO, especially for networking and when it comes to voluntary work. I think it is hard to convince someone to do voluntary work during weekends rather than watching Netflix or spending time with the family. How can you convince me that taking out time for some voluntary work will be worth the effort? I have seen several of my friends doing voluntary work and who ended up alone whenever they faced legal problems even though they did not do anything illegal.

Kind regards,
Shelly