RE: Invitation to a One-day Workshop on 'The Model Law on Access to Information'

From: Chantal Kisoon <ckisoon_at_sahrc.org.za>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 06:59:16 +0000

Thank you so much for your kind words. Mauritius and its people are not just wonderful, but very interesting too! We are hoping to get about a bit more today. The brief informal discussions we had about open data, holds the promise of becoming a reality for Mauritius with people like you advocating for it.

You may wish to plug into the open data partnerships and developments being spear-headed by the Obama administration and the recent meeting in Brazil on open data, governments in the sun [so to speak!], developing states and access to information, if you haven't done so already.

We are keen to keep the missions we work on very pragmatic, so that people enjoy not only all of the benefits of a law that gives them rights, but in the same breadth ensuring the law actually translates to improvements in their lived reality on the ground. I am hopeful that the South African experience, and indeed those of smaller states, provided a reality check of the commitment that is needed and the work that lies ahead beyond simply adopting a law but to shape a wonderful reality for people in Mauritius and the region as we navigate the information era.

Much strength to you and the Mauritius Internet Users in your work taking this forward! Please do keep in touch.

Warm regards,
Chantal