Re: Start-up event

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 23:35:12 -0800

Hi Dr Naicken,
At 12:57 25-02-2016, Stephen Naicken wrote:
>How do/should startups go about hiring technical talent? If I need
>to hire security or UX experts, is that talent available? If not,
>are graduates able to 'level up' their skills quickly? Are there
>schemes for startups to quickly employ foreign talent if local
>talent is unavailable?

Hiring can be a matter of someone knowing someone who knows a person
who has the required skills and experience. It is difficult to find
people with the required skills and experience. I assume that you
are looking for people with 10 years of security or UX experience. I
doubt that you will be able to find them easily. It is very
difficult to find graduates who are able to "level up" quickly. The
are already schemes for outsourcing companies which can be used to
hire foreign talent (
http://www.investmauritius.com/doing-business/recruitment-and-training/foreign.aspx
).

> profitable? How important is the business plan (it sometimes seems
> to me to be as accurate as plucking numbers out of the sky)?

Anyone serious about funding the company will ask for a business
plan. I doubt that the numbers are accurate.

>The less glamourous side of startups can be fights over the
>shareholder agreements (equity, restrictive covenants, etc) and the
>direction of the company. How should Mauritian founders address
>these issues without destroying their relationships? Given the
>culture, is a different approach needed to those used elsewhere?

Disagreements can happen in any type of company. I suggest
considering what Elizabeth wrote about this.