Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Stephen Naicken <stephennaicken_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:43:09 +0000

On 19 February 2016 at 09:15, Loganaden Velvindron <logan_at_afrinic.net> wrote:

> Hi Stephen, Talking about start-up, how are things going in "Silicon
> Fen" ? I have friends doing some really cool stuff for Intel & RedHat.
> It's one of those success stories in the UK that does not get a lot of
> media coverage.

Sure, I agree with this observation. Tech City (East London) has had a
great deal of government support since the Conservatives took office.
This helped the area to attract some talent, established companies,
accelerators, capital and marketing. The marketing of Tech City and
its media coverage has drowned out what is happening elsewhere.
Cambridge is, in my opinion, perfect for "highly technical" startups.
It certainly looks healthy to me too [1]. Some have strong opinions
about Tech City [2], but given London is a leading financial centre,
maybe the city will become dominated by fintech startups.

One thing we could learn from Silicon Fen, is the importance of a
University and the role it can play [2]. That said, at this point in
time, the University of Mauritius appears to have more fundamental
issues to worry about than startups

[1] https://angel.co/cambridge-2
[2] http://life.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/the-failure-of-londons-tech-city/
[3] http://www.enterprise.cam.ac.uk/

Dr. Stephen Naicken, BSc, MRes, Ph.D (Sussex)
Visiting Research Fellow
Department of Informatics
University of Sussex
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/snaicken