RE: Startup ecosystem

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:15:28 +0400

Hello Vincent,

You are 110% right ! we will not change the face of Mauritius in day with this startup event neither with the webcup or the Devcon or even with our respectives blogs. But be sure that another event (another blog post) will come after this one and another and another one and so on until we get where we want to be !
Let's make it fun ! enjoy the playlist it is a good one ;)

You are right Vincent, we cannot change the 'face of Mauritius' because it is all related to a culture problem which we have been witnessing so far. Coming back to the 'crowd' and 'public' issue. I think what Ish and SM meant was simply that an event's success is not measured by the number of attendees :) As Elise said in her email- she adopted a different approach and it worked well 'when interventions in specific classes led to great exchanges', there were group of students. It is challenging to keep a session interactive and interesting as the number of attendees gets bigger but it is not impossible and this is why we are volunteering to help by sharing ideas. Let's not limit the options regarding venues, number of attendees and panel members. There should be a tentative agenda eventually followed by a plan B as backup, well the last resort is to adapt and improvise.

>Am not interested in politics but I hope, we could achieve awareness regarding opportunities in Mauritius.

Do you mean that the 'Startup Ecosystem' will be more like an awareness session (event/presentation where public/crowd/attendees will assist without any interaction with panels and organizers) rather than an event (interactive session between panels members and the public/crowd/attendees) ? I am sorry to disappoint you Vincent but awareness session is not the right approach but you are welcome to prove me wrong.

Hello SM,

> The group does things differently. For example, it welcomes
> criticism and that is done in the open and not in secret. Would a
> person who is used to following local tradition believe that? I
> doubt it.

It is difficult for a person to change his/her habits. Tradition is a strong word and demands lots of energy and determination to accept the will of 'change' and 'evolution'.

>The events which the group organizes or participates in
> usually have an objective. There is an assessment to determine
> whether the group has achieved anything. I'll comment about the
> example which Ish mentioned. The presentation was not an event
> organized by this group. That was because the project was initiated
> as a personal activity and it would not be appropriate to "use" the
> group to further the interests of a few persons. There was a
> significant mistake in the presentation; that was my mistake.

I don't understand why you saying it was your mistake. Please explain.

> I prefer an approach which is realistic instead of hoping that there
> won't be any problem. In past discussions about events, the
> discussions have helped in ensuring that someone within a team will
> find a solution to a problem.

I believe that itself is the first objective of any event, 'what will be the outcome of the event?'.

Kind regards,
Shelly