Re: Compromising the security of personal information

From: Suyash Sumaroo <suyash_at_codevigor.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:08:12 +0400

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital> wrote:

> Hi SM,
>
> On 02/17/2016 08:21 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
>

>> There is a letter at https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/ about
>> weakening the security on the iPhone. There hasn't been any (local)
>> public discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of compromising
>> the security of personal information. Does anyone have an opinion about
>> the topic?

Hi SM and Ish,

I read the letter and what was evident to me more was the way Apple handled
that request. One thing which is certain is that the FBI will not simply be
able to 'bully' Apple to comply with this request, primarily because of the
fact that Apple is already such a powerful entity. By sharing this letter,
they have put the debate in the public domain. This way, they are not 100%
responsible whichever way they go. I think its really intelligent of Apple.

I also believe that Apple genuinely does not want to add backdoors to the
IPhone. There have been some studies showing that encryption does not
necessarily mean that terrorists or criminals are going to use it to
communicate or 'stay in the dark' [1].

From my personal point of view, if the government wants backdoors to our
data, well, people also need to have backdoors to ALL government data
(which should already be the case anyway - open data). This applies to the
US or Mauritius.

1. http://www.dailydot.com/politics/encryption-fbi-harvard-berkman-study/

--
Thanks & Regards,