Re: Startup ecosystem

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:40:48 -0800

Hi Vincent, Ish,
At 12:31 16-02-2016, vincent pollet wrote:
>hmmm not sure what you meant but replace the word "crowd" by
>"public" if you want. It has almost the same meaning for me :P
>
>Am not interested in politics but I hope, we could achieve awareness
>regarding opportunities in Mauritius.

I read Ish's comment as meaning that the objective of an event should
not be about filling a room with people. As a group we can either
aim for 100 persons in the audience or 10 persons in the audience. I
usually prefer to have 10 persons who are interested instead of 100
persons who are there because the event is free.

There was a news article in the weekend edition of the WSJ about
startups in New York. It was interesting to read about the
organization of a meeting about startups. Is there anything similar
on the island?

There was an event to get things started; it can be described as
awareness. Why should the group do more awareness? There is a video
of the event.

>I think having students is not a bad idea as they are the next
>generation of startupers and leaders. Exposing them early to such
>debates could be a great benefit for them and I don't think it will
>lower the level of discussions.

I'll commend both Elizabeth and Vincent for volunteering to move
forward with startups. I don't see university students showing
interest. Ish has volunteered a lot of his time organizing events
for university students over the last few years. I participated in
two of the events. Although there was some discussion there wasn't
the exchange of ideas to get the dynamics going.

I don't think that the level of discussion is a problem. I'll
comment about debates; the usual on the island is lecture style
workshops. I wouldn't blame the audience for that.

The leaders of this group are young and dynamic. The persons do not
have to wait for the next generation to become leaders. :-)

>It will be our role to prepare interesting questions and stop
>sterile topics, in order to make sure that this "startup event" is
>as interesting as possible for everyone in the audience/crowd/public :P

I am waiting to hear the proposals which will make the event interesting. :-)

>I also would like to give credit to MIU for organising this event
>(and the previous one). I don't know where we stand with the logo
>but it will be great to have one by the then.

There is only one person who has volunteered to design a logo for
free. I'll ask Shelly about that. Where will the logo be used?