Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Turbine Mauritius <hello_at_turbine.mu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:51:49 +0400

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick note regarding SM's comment " I don't see university students
showing interest."

Having a open event or a kiosk where students are expected to show up
doesn't work in most environment, whether in Mauritius or abroad. This has
been my experience everywhere across the world.

However, when interacting with a closed audience (some would say "captive"
- the best way possible!), the students quickly start sharing fantastic
ideas and projects that they never would have discussed in any other
setting. This has happened while visiting 3 different universities in
Mauritius, when interventions in specific classes led to great exchanges.

To link this back to Vincent's suggestion to hold the event during DevCon,
it seems like a great idea because 1) the audience will have a certain
interest just for showing up to the DevCon itself 2) it will be a "forced"
opportunity for said audience to meet the start-up community, whether they
act on this opportunity or not, and 3) hopefully it will spark some members
of the audience to have discovery moments such as the ones witnessed during
my campus tour last year that were great eye-openers for everyone involved.

By the way, Fast Company published their list of the world's most
innovative companies
<http://www.fastcompany.com/most-innovative-companies/sectors/africa>
yesterday and it just so happens that Africa's third most innovative
company is African Leadership University <http://www.alueducation.com>,
based here in Mauritius. Having been a facilitator there, I can vouch for
the discovery moment method that is proving to change the way people think
about education, but mostly how people think about *changing mindsets*.

If this thread on developing the start-up ecosystem in Mauritius should
serve any purpose, changing mindsets should be at the top of the list.

Just my thoughts :)

E.

--
<http://www.turbine.mu>