Re: Startup ecosystem

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 12:30:31 -0800

Hi Vincent,
At 08:42 AM 2/13/2016, vincent pollet wrote:
>I have been very busy, ict.io is generating a lot of attention
>locally and abroad.
>We are so happy :)

It's nice to hear that. :-)

>Regarding the Startup event, I took my time to think about it and
>this is what I propose to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

>Devcon is going to happen in April (venue and crowd solved), we
>could have a panel 6 to 8 people like the previous one.
>
>I am thinking about people more involved into the startup scene, people like :
>Suyash document.mu
>Denis Lacour, la Plage
>Elisabeth, La Turbine
>Julien, ex. Expat-blog
>wesley oxeham, if he his around
>
>but any others Mauritian startuper, or VC could be a great idea.
>We could also have startup from Reunion it could be fun
>
>The topic should be something like "Mauritius Startup scene, let's
>make it happen"
>
>To be honest am a little bit tired about hearing what we don't have
>in Mauritius, I would prefer to hear what we will do about it !
>
>This is what I would like to see, but if you guys have any others
>good ideas let's hear them.

I like your approach of what we can or will do about that instead of
hearing the usual "we don't have that in Mauritius".

Last year devcon attracted university students. The audience was
basically at a beginner level. Is that the audience you would like to target?

In my opinion startups are different from the outsourcing sector. If
the market is Mauritius it would be better to focus on what is needed
to have a startup scene instead of mixing it with the outsourcing
sector. I previously commented to someone on this mailing list about
getting a crowd for the sake of it. That may be good from a
marketing perspective. However, it won't get us far as it is very
difficult to do an assessment.

I don't know much about startups in Reunion. I agree that it would
be fun to get someone from that island.

The panel which we held last month was to get the conversation (about
startups) started. The next step would be to focus on specific
issues. For now, I suggest identifying an issue which the proposed
panel may be able to help out with. I'll also suggest having an
audience which is there because it is interested in the subject
instead of an audience being there because there isn't anything else to do.

As a reminder, you have full control over the event and you can
ignore any of the above comments.