Re: The speed of communication

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 04:53:25 -0800

Hi SM & Raksheeta,

_at_Raksheeta Thank you for writing that post on your blog. It's great to
see how the internet affects your life both as a student and a blogger.

_at_SM I agree that an exchange can take hours or days. Personally, the
"delay" in receiving a response (part of the exchange), varies depending
on the network and the user/service you are trying to contact. While
there has been a leap in reducing the "delay" at the network level by
increasing the speed at which information flows, we must not forget
about the reliability aspect of the network itself. What will happen if
an information never reaches the destination we are trying to contact?
New advances will often cater for this issue by either re-sending the
information or informing us or both but it might not always be the case.

Like Raksheeta pointed out in her blog, the internet is a facilitator.
We do have other means/channels of transmitting information (sometimes
in a more reliable fashion or at a greater speed). Relying on the
internet solely is not always the best option and we should always use
the proper facilitator for the proper situation (e.g someone without an
internet connection will have to be contacted through another person who
knows that "someone" and has an internet connection. That person will
then have to find a way to contact that "someone" and inevitably, we end
up with more channels. Instead we could have investigated in a more
effective way of contacting that "someone"). To sum up my points, the
internet is not essential and whether it increases the speed of
communication varies on factors as the quality of the network being used
and the service/person being contacted.

Regards, Mike

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class