Re: Internet Security Day

From: Nadim Bundhoo <nadim_at_devisprox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 17:44:55 +0400

Hello,

On 9 February 2016 at 12:23, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> The news article has a comment from a victim: "En octobre 2015, j’avais
> repéré une annonce sur le site d’un journal en ligne relative à la vente
> d’une voiture à Rs 50 000. Le vendeur m’a demandé un virement Moneygram. Je
> me suis renseignée auprès de plusieurs banques de l’île et toutes m’ont
> assuré qu’il n’y avait aucun problème". Was that good advice?

I don't think it was good advice, simply because the officials in the bank
don't have genuine information on those who are receiving the money, do
they? So I feel they acted irresponsibly.

But if the officials wanted to say that sending money through Moneygram (or
Western Union), the service is safe, then they should also tell the senders
that it is the responsibility of the sender to verify whether the
recipients are genuine or not, before making the transfer. In this case the
public needs to be educated. Who has the responsibility to educate the
public? It is any government agency / department?

Apart from transferring money though services where tracing the money trail
is difficult, I would also like to add that there were, some years ago,
fraudulent payment gateway providers. I don't know whether they are still
here, or new ones are operating here. For example, a few years ago when I
was evaluating the different online payment providers, I came across Bardo,
ECS World and Instabill on WebHostingTalk [1] [2]. They all shared the same
business address:

Suite 501, St. James Court
St. Dennis Street
Port Louis

I didn't get much information then (see [1] [2]). It appeared that all of
them were selling, after re-branding, the payment gateway of SBM.

Nadim

[1] http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=693040&page=2
[2] http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=724914