Re: Review of the Radio Plus debate themed "Cybercriminalité: sommes-nous bien armés ?"

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:46:03 -0800

Hi Mike,
At 07:13 29-01-2016, Jules Mike Giovanni wrote:
>I've created a blog post[1] to share my opinions about the debate held
>at Radio Plus on the 28th of this January. The main theme was whether we
>are armed enough to deal with Cybercrimes in Mauritius.

There were two points which was raised:

   (a) Does the police have adequate training to solve "cybercrime"?

   (b) Are new laws needed to deal with "cybercrime"?

There wasn't any concern about lack of training (a).

There was a comment about Section 4 of the Computer Misuse and
Cybercrime Act 2003 during the radio programme. I read the Section
after hearing the comment. I did not comment about (b) as there
wasn't any discussion about "what is in the law".

I agree that there wasn't adequate information during the radio
programme for an analysis. I avoided getting into a discussion about
IP addresses or MAC addresses as it might be viewed as too
technical. One of the persons on the radio programme was introduced
as an "expert in digital forensics". There was an interesting
question from Mr Emile about what would happen if the person using a
public Wi-Fi is a tourist; would it be possible to identify that person?

You are the second person who mentioned not being aware of "awareness
campaigns" [1]. Is up to this group to organize such campaigns?

1. https://www.raksheeta.me/cybercrimes-debate-on-radio/