Re: Review of the Radio Plus debate themed "Cybercriminalité: sommes-nous bien armés ?"

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 23:05:16 +0400

Hello,

I tend to think that the question was not well answered (whether or not
we are well-equipped to deal with cybercrime). The representatives tried
to give assurance - as Mike says, “trust us we know what we are doing”;
but they failed to transparently show that this is the case.

The problematic is two-fold:
- Like SM said, it is difficult balance between clarity and accuracy
when dealing with general (non-technical) public
- The current context (Ish Sookun / Sooklall case) – made the cybercrime
uneasy (for whatever reasons) when responding to genuine concerns about
law (SM's question on air)

On 1/29/16 9:46 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Is up to this group to organize such campaigns?

I do not believe so. The cybercrime unit, National Computer Board, and
ICTA are government bodies, entrusted with a mission, and paid for by
citizens of the Republic of Mauritius.

They claim they have things under control. Rather than distrusting them
at face value, I think it would be wiser if we, as citizens of the
Republic, were help them in their mission, by:
- Validating their claims - to which extent they are true to what they
say, through probes and promotion of transparency
- Encouraging citizens to communicate issues to them, as necessary, and
getting feedback with respect to the processing of issues
- Decoding complex terminology communicated by them to non-technical
users (through the mailing list and more importantly through our blogs
using not-too-technical language)

As simple as this may sound, in truth it is far more complicated.
The Mauritian Governmental culture about responding to public complaint
is dysfunctional as we have experienced in the past (so many emails
unreplied).

The current court case has brought the issue into the limelight but I am
afraid as public interest wanes, the issue will slowly fade into an
obfuscated silence.

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞