Re: Startup ecosystem

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 13:29:36 -0800

Hello,

The current state of the startup ecosystem in Mauritius is such that
it may take 20 years for it to be seen as a significant part of the
economy. An optimistic outlook would still not make it a matter of a
few years as it requires much more than having the infrastructure.

I watched a presentation by Bill Gross about startups. The companies
used as examples were internet-based companies. The success of some
of them was not because they came up with a great idea; it was
because of timing. As an example which is unrelated to the
presentation, an online streaming product would not be successful if
consumers do not have access to a fast and reliable internet connection.

Timing can be viewed in different ways. For example, it was possible
to create an app [1] which would be an instant success as it did not
require that much resources to create. A product could also be based
on a forecast of what can be available within a year or two. The
company building that product would need to have an understanding of
the existing ecosystem and how the ecosystem will be like next
year. Can a software developer or system administrator do that? I
do not think so as it is not a matter of software or hardware skills.

This is where you ask me for the solution. I do not have the
expertise to propose the solution as the analysis requires a broad
set of talents. Is the talent available on the island? Yes. Can it
be done if funding is available? No. It is similar to a startup;
there would have to be talented people who are fully committed to
making it a success.

1. https://twitter.com/getstolen/status/687767673057329152