Re: Government: Social media presence

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 03:46:40 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 08:12 19-01-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>In my opinion, however, with the Government it is the opposite.
>Proximity with citizens would mean queries & interrogations from the
>public. I understand there is a reluctance for this among the older
>generation of officials in government. They have been comfortable
>for years with the "no questions asked". You might recall how a
>high-official of the Ministry of Technology, Communication &
>Innovation frowned when saying Facebook during the .mu
>Multi-stakeholder forum. When in fact, he confused the mailing list
>to social network.

 From what I recall the representatives of the private sector and
from a university supported the government official.

The following was interesting:
https://twitter.com/IshSookun/status/689064396455317504

I'd say that social media as used on the island is like buying a book
to learn about it or applying what has been read on the internet. On
the user side, it is more of an individualistic approach instead of a
social approach. This is reflected in the level of customer service
which the consumer will accept.

There is a mindset of "no questions asked". That may be okay if you
are not working for an internet-based company. I suggest taking a
look at www.airbnb.com as it highlights the social part.