Re: Government: Social media presence

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 20:12:42 +0400

Hi SM,

On 01/19/2016 04:50 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> In past elections several candidates spent money on Facebook campaigns.

During the campaigns, candidates long from the proximity with
constituents. In the previous general elections, Facebook played a major
in role achieving that.

In my opinion, however, with the Government it is the opposite.
Proximity with citizens would mean queries & interrogations from the
public. I understand there is a reluctance for this among the older
generation of officials in government. They have been comfortable for
years with the "no questions asked". You might recall how a
high-official of the Ministry of Technology, Communication & Innovation
frowned when saying Facebook during the .mu Multi-stakeholder forum.
When in fact, he confused the mailing list to social network.

> It is likely that government ministers already have a personal page on
> Facebook.

Yes. I have seen a few.

> The Mauritius Police Force is on Facebook [1] since 15
> September 2015. I sent an email to the Ministry of Technology,
> Communication and Innovation about the its social media policy. I have
> not received any reply. I doubt that there will be any change in 2016.

The Ministry of Technology, Communication & Innovation is yet to undergo
an innovation like the Mauritius Police Force.

I informed two officials of the Ministry about a wrong SSL certificate
installation on govmu.org yesterday. I did not receive a reply either.

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.