Re: Do you think that Netflix will be a success in Mauritius?

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 00:29:31 -0800

Hi Yash,
At 17:16 20-01-2016, Yash Maudhoo wrote:
>Do you think that Netflix will be a success as
>in other countries taking into account the
>current state of the Internet in Mauritius?
>According to the information provided by
>Netflix, 5 Mbps is recommended for streaming in
>HD and the bandwidth usage for the same is
>around 3GB per hour. So I guess to be able to
>streaming without any annoying buffering, one
>should have Fiber Optic. As we all know there is
>no such thing called "unlimited" bandwidth.
>According to MyT La Fibre's Fair Usage
>Policy[1], you're allocated with 75GB of
>bandwidth. Do you think that 75GB of bandwidth
>is enough if one streams and surfs the net
>everyday ? If my calculation(75 ÷ 3) is correct,
>we'll around 25 hours of streaming
>monthly(considering a theoretical efficiency of
>100%). According to you, what are the
>factors,if any, why might Netflix fail in
>Mauritius? Personally, I find the data cap and
>content available for Mauritian Users to be a limitation.

Netflix did not know that Mauritius is a country
when it made an announcement that the service
will be available in most countries. The content
served by Netflix in the United States is not the
same content as the content which a person in
France or Mauritius is able to access. On 14
January, the Vice President of Content Delivery
Architecture of Netflix stated that Netflix will
be blocking VPN proxies. I don't think that
Netflix will be a success if it keeps those restrictions.

Your calculation is correct. However, one hour
of daily high-quality streaming is a low
number. One of the limitations which affects
normal use of Netflix is the data cap.