Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Turbine Mauritius <hello_at_turbine.mu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:45:43 +0400

Hi everyone,

SM, thanks for initiating the topic of the start-up ecosystem in Mauritius.

Indeed, building a healthy ecosystem requires times, commitment and
diversity for the components to work together and grow. Less healthy
ecosystems need a bit more to thrive.

I definitely agree with Suyash regarding the fact that some elements of the
ecosystem are present.
- There might not be start-ups with successes similar to Silicon valley
projects, but there are committed individuals with exciting projects.
- There might not be as many investors as there are in other worldwide
entrepreneurial hubs, but there are definitely available funds and
increasing willingness to take risks on younger ventures.
- One component that, in my humble opinion, needs to be developed is an
eager market that is keen to support new products and services developed
locally. This isn't to say the local market is or should be a priority, but
a community of early adopters can be key to a start-up's initial early
growth.

The disconnect SM mentions might be worth putting into perspective not only
from a start-ups perspective (e.g. "the investors don't understand my
vision"), but also from the market perspective. Does the product or service
you offer answer an existing, pressing and relevant need? If so, it should
only be a matter of time before you reach a critical mass of consumers.
* This is not to say that the initial viewpoint is incorrect, though
perhaps it is only partially complete.

To get back to the ecosystem, it's important to note that no environment
can thrive with too much of one thing. Using the initial example, it is
perfectly acceptable that software developers and system administrators may
not wish to embark on an entrepreneurial journey - and it would probably be
overwhelming if, in turn, everyone decided to do so! It takes a tremendous
amount of passion, vision and grit to launch a start-up, and considering
that 60% of them fail, only individuals with such qualities are advised to
pursue this path. There are such individuals in individuals in Mauritius
and it is a fantastic opportunity for them to have access to a great talent
pool of other software developers and system administrators (once again, as
per example) to assist them in their endeavours!...

Having communities as this one share their thoughts and skills to identify
issues is part of creating links in the community. The next step is
bringing their qualities together to create tangible solutions :)

Definitely keen to volunteer to do so!
E.

--
<http://www.turbine.mu>