Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Suyash Sumaroo <suyash_at_codevigor.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:41:22 +0400

Hi SM,

These are hard questions for a young entrepreneur, :-)

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Suyash,
>
> There seems to be mis-aligned expectations in the discussions about
> startups. There are software developers doing programming or scripting and
> system administrators doing maintenance. Are the software developers or
> system administrators ready to turn an idea into a startup?

I believe that there are many factors which will prevent people from
setting up their own startups: risk, finance, general perception, and so
on. I think this will change when setting up startups in Mauritius will
become more attractive in terms of career financing, opportunities and ROI.

> It is not clear what investors are expecting. The island is not Silicon
> Valley. The experience available is centered around outsourcing. There is
> lukewarm enthusiasm.

It is true that it is not easy to know exactly what investors are
expecting, simply because, entrepreneurs (especially young ones) and
investors have really different mindsets. However, I believe that it all
comes down to know how to manage complexity irrespective of whether it is
in Mauritius or Silicon Valley. For instance, if you have to convince an
investor to invest in your idea, then however reluctant he/she is, it is
the job of the entrepreneur to convince the investor, taking into account
the current environment. It all comes down to this: "look smart guy, you
have an idea, and you want finance. Well, use everything you have at your
disposal to make it happen. If you can't the first time, then its your
shortcoming. Fail and then, try again."

> What is an ecosystem? It is like coral reef. It is not possible to
> create a startup ecosystem. However, it is possible to influence it.

Honestly, I cannot pretend to answer this question. Knowing about an
ecosystem generally requires someone to be in the startup culture or
business for quite some years. I can only spot bits and pieces that form an
ecosystem (bits and pieces I am already familiar with). However, I do think
it is possible to create a startup ecosystem. Currently, I form part of the
ecosystem and I try to convince others to join, so as your reference to a
coral reef, I am just a small polyp extending the ecosystem.

--
Thanks & Regards,
*Suyash Sumaroo | Director*