Re: Startup ecosystem

From: Stephen Naicken <stephennaicken_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 18:01:50 +0400

On 15 January 2016 at 15:41, Suyash Sumaroo <suyash_at_codevigor.com> wrote:

> Hi SM,
>
> These are hard questions for a young entrepreneur, :-)
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Suyash,
>>
>> There seems to be mis-aligned expectations in the discussions about
>> startups. There are software developers doing programming or scripting and
>> system administrators doing maintenance. Are the software developers or
>> system administrators ready to turn an idea into a startup?
>

> I believe that there are many factors which will prevent people from
> setting up their own startups: risk, finance, general perception, and so
> on. I think this will change when setting up startups in Mauritius will
> become more attractive in terms of career financing, opportunities and ROI.

​And to add to this, it is clear that the public sector cannot employ
talent at the same rate as in the past. If the private sector does not
grow sufficiently to absorb graduates, then some young people may well be
faced with the choice of unemployment, migration, or involvement in a local
startup either as a founder or employee.

So ironically, economic slowdown in Mauritius may well be the catalyst to
drive the creation of startups. The risks entailed with a startup may seem
more attractive in a downturn. Those struggling to find a salaried position
may find it is the better alternative.

--
Dr. Stephen Naicken, BSc (Sussex), MRes (Sussex), Ph.D (Sussex)
Visiting Research Fellow