Re: Awareness and education

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:59:38 +0400

Hi SM,

On 01/12/2016 08:17 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Awareness is sometimes done as a one-off event. In general, there isn't
> any reporting or follow-up. Ish is the only person in Mauritius who
> blogs about the tech events which he attended. I used to send quick
> notes to the mailing list as it allows the subscribers who have not been
> able to attend the event to see what happened.

Thanks for the explanation on "one-off" event. I had the same in mind,
thinking about the MIU meetups at the Ebčne Accelerator & the University
of Mauritius, but I could not express it more clearly. I blog about tech
events that I attend because it's fun to do so :) Besides it's a way for
me to improve & learn along the way. The blog posts can be considered as
"awareness" if a person does not have other means to get that
information locally.

> Education requires regular effort. One of the constraints is that the
> academic participation is extremely low. It's also not a profitable
> activity to give away education for free. Is it possible to increase
> the level of understanding? There would have to be several persons with
> the necessary expertise who are willing to put in a regular effort.
> There would have to be funding to cover the expenses. The participants
> would have to be charged a minimal fee.

The lack of participation will hinder the increase in the level of
understanding. Worst, we might not even know the level of understanding.
There might also be an interpretation that if something is given for
free it must be of little worth.

> What is the current level of understanding? I took a quick look at some
> (local) web sites. Most of them do not use hyperlinks. "Our research
> shows that eCommerce
> is the most lucrative revenue model for app developers, and we expect
> its significance to only grow" [1]. Is there any local venue where
> people are discussing about revenue models? Is there an adequate
> understanding of the local internet-related issues?

Yes. The lack of hyperlinks & reference might be a problem (as you can't
verify the source of information).

Unfortunately, there is no such venue, in my knowledge, where I might
find some internet-related discussions (locally). I guess the Mauritius
Internet Users is the only list at the moment that encourages such
discussions.

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.