Awareness and education

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 08:17:28 -0800

Hi Ish, Yusuf,
At 10:49 11-01-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I'd say education & awareness is a different topic. We won't know
>the level of understanding of our subscribers regarding certain
>subjects if they do not communicate, participate or ask questions.
>How can we educate & create awareness if we do not know the level? I
>still stress on the participation of members.

Awareness is sometimes done as a one-off event. In general, there
isn't any reporting or follow-up. Ish is the only person in
Mauritius who blogs about the tech events which he attended. I used
to send quick notes to the mailing list as it allows the subscribers
who have not been able to attend the event to see what happened.

Education requires regular effort. One of the constraints is that
the academic participation is extremely low. It's also not a
profitable activity to give away education for free. Is it possible
to increase the level of understanding? There would have to be
several persons with the necessary expertise who are willing to put
in a regular effort. There would have to be funding to cover the
expenses. The participants would have to be charged a minimal fee.

What is the current level of understanding? I took a quick look at
some (local) web sites. Most of them do not use hyperlinks. "Our
research shows that eCommerce
is the most lucrative revenue model for app developers, and we expect
its significance to only grow" [1]. Is there any local venue where
people are discussing about revenue models? Is there an adequate
understanding of the local internet-related issues?

1.
https://ec.europa.eu/research/innovation-union/pdf/active-healthy-ageing/vision_mobile.pdf