Re: MIU Logo

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 12:06:52 +0400

Hello all,

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> So, according to you, this is does not relate to the internet. I just
have a little question, from which perspective did you analyse the logo?
 From a developer, designer, layman, internet user? That's just to
understand from what perspective you are commenting.

Personally, as a member of the general public – (the term “layman” could
be considered to be pejorative in this context).

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> I guess this comment was useful enough compared to the other ones :)

This could be considered disrespectful.

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> I will write a separate email to describe the logo/emblem in details.

The point being that a logo should ideally not require a detailed
description to be understood and recognized.

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> Actually, some managed to dig a little bit to understand what the
logos you failed to understand meant. I will facilitate your work in my
next email.

Same as above.

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> Logo design involves lots of psychological understanding.

 From a logical perspective, this would imply that:
- either you possess “lots of psychological understanding” – which
brings into relevance S. Moonesamy's question “Are there any guidelines,
e.g. a code of ethics, which you studied? If so, could you please
provide a link to the document?”
- or one of the following:
     + logo design does not involve a lot of psychological understanding
     + logo design involves a lot of psychological understanding but you
design logos while skipping the psychological aspect
     + you do not practice logo design

Tejas (Nirvan) Pagooah <t_at_graphicstemple.io>, 2016-01-08 13.48:
> Apart from that, I have a question for both of you. I am sure you
know about CodePen [1], the famous front-end developer code playground.
They do have a logo [2]. My question is, what can you say about the logo
with respect to the site?

I am aware of CodePen [1], but not a regular visitor or user.
The logo you sent [2], while featuring on the website, seems to be a
more compact version of the main logo used on the website [3].

The graphic [2] itself is a simple and easily identifiable geometric
shape of a cuboid / box, which can vaguely be related to the word “pen”
(as in enclosure).
The wireframe style of the box, is reminiscent of engineering / design
process – which can be linked to front-end web development.

CodePen is a niche website, such that those who know and use it
regularly can easily identify it from its compact logo, and more easily
so if they have come across the “full” version of the logo.

Vincent Pollet <vincent_at_pongosoft.com>, 2016-01-08 14.41:

http://www.grapheine.com/actulogo/un-bon-logo-michael-bierut?utm_content=buffer03b23&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Interesting video, from which I deduce that since:
- MIU does not have the marketing prowess nor ability to raise
brand-awareness to associate meaning with a “logo system” logo over time,
- and the MIU name has no meaning to be represented by a single pictoral,
- a wordmark with a simple graphic would be the best option.

All things said, the logo issue should not be paramount. Just Keeping It
Simple Surely, would be best.

Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-08 23.42:
> Let us tone down a bit in this thread. We're all contributing for the
betterment, right? Let's chill & have fun along the way to have a nice a
logo. So far only Nirvan volunteered to work on the logo designs. We may
all chip in ideas & comments to make his task easy.

I am sure Nirvan meant well, but I wanted to use the what was said and
the wording thereof to illustrate my point with reference being made to
our discussion on the “Code of Conduct” thread:

Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR <fx_at_fluxy.net>, 2016-01-05 17.51:
> Formal definitions of acceptable behavior and vision would, in fact,
send a strong signal of maturity of the group itself – illustrating the
commitment of individual members to a healthy code of conduct and common
vision.

Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-06 15.31:
> I find it odd that we need to tell people what is an acceptable
behaviour.

I am sure if I were to have this discussion face to face with the other
members, tone (voice), humor and facial expressions would have helped
keep the mood friendly; but this being the internet, and conversations
requiring impersonal discussions, added to the fact that different
people have different cultures (professional and netiquette wise) and
manneurisms, the tone will likely flare; thus the need for a standard of
behavior.

[1] http://codepen.io/
[2]
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2309242092/7um0112y4n9pvvlcodkl_400x400.png