Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:20:16 +0400

Hi Suyash,

On 01/03/2016 07:38 AM, Suyash Sumaroo wrote:

> It is true that the market is relatively small, but there is still a
> large market to solve problems in Mauritius (for example, create a
> system to manage hospital medical records). These are things that can be
> tackled by local businesses and are projects that can bring millions in
> revenue for these businesses. I believe that that best way to go forward
> with the startup culture is that we try to solve problems that are
> present in Mauritius, and monetize these solutions. These avenues can
> easily accommodate a lot of businesses.

Did you mean public hospitals? I often use the word culture when I
address such topics. Will you be able to develop anything for government
hospitals if you're not given an insight into how they manage the records.

Public institutions have a tender process which is controversial in
Mauritius. You'll often read in the press how some people or companies
are favoured over others. Such a culture would make it difficult for
start-ups to kick off.

However, if there is much data available on hospitals, startups can come
up with solutions & propose solutions with less overhead on their end.

I would agree with you that there is much in the country that can be
solved (should be rather). I read on this mailing list about carrying
money when going to buy food. There have been attempts like Orange Money
[1] & MCB Juice [2] to encourage people effect payments using their
mobile phones, which I assume a majority of Mauritians own one now. It's
like 2 years since their inception but they did not really kick off in
Mauritius? Do people really complain about carrying a lot of money in
Mauritius? If not, then it might not be considered as a problem. If you
propose a solution to something which is "not considered a problem",
then the solution isn't of great value.

I had a discussion with a friend who does not use mobile & internet
banking services, but rather prefers going to the ATM when he needs
money. He explained that in a way it helps him control his expenses.
With too much facilities at removing/transferring money he will tend to
spend quickly.

A year ago, I was discussing about Credit Cards with a friend who just
canceled his cards and applied for a pre-paid card. He said the credit
card facility tends to make him spend at the slightest occasion. With a
pre-paid card, he kinda restrains himself.

Therefore, unless we have enough information on the market, whether
something is considered a problem, we might not propose something effective.

[1]
http://www.orange.mu/kinews/dossiers/business/305850/orange-money-payez-votre-facture-a-partir-de-votre-mobile.html
[2]
http://www.mcb.mu/en/news/2013/2013-07-04-Juice-transforme-le-mobile-en-porte-monnaie