Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: Suyash Sumaroo <suyash_at_codevigor.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 11:28:21 +0400

Hi Ish,

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital> wrote:

> Hi Suyash,
>
> On 01/03/2016 07:38 AM, Suyash Sumaroo wrote:
>

>> It is true that the market is relatively small, but there is still a
>> large market to solve problems in Mauritius (for example, create a
>> system to manage hospital medical records). These are things that can be
>> tackled by local businesses and are projects that can bring millions in
>> revenue for these businesses. I believe that that best way to go forward
>> with the startup culture is that we try to solve problems that are
>> present in Mauritius, and monetize these solutions. These avenues can
>> easily accommodate a lot of businesses.
>>

> Did you mean public hospitals? I often use the word culture when I address
> such topics. Will you be able to develop anything for government hospitals
> if you're not given an insight into how they manage the records.

You are right about the difficulties in pushing solutions to the
government, even if the solutions are cheaper and better. The difficulty
lies in convincing the government that solutions of local startups can be
as good as solutions from abroad. But that is a whole other issue. My point
is that the market is here, but there are barriers which need to be removed.

> Public institutions have a tender process which is controversial in
> Mauritius. You'll often read in the press how some people or companies are
> favoured over others. Such a culture would make it difficult for start-ups
> to kick off.

You are again right about this. Personally, I think that this is just a
hurdle that needs to be overcome by startups. Most of the time, change is
difficult, especially cultural changes - as you mentioned - but it is our
responsibility to change these. This is the current business landscape in
Mauritius, and we have to adapt to succeed. I am not saying that startups
also need to get favors to succeed, but instead, choose the difficult but
right way..

> I would agree with you that there is much in the country that can be
> solved (should be rather). I read on this mailing list about carrying money
> when going to buy food. There have been attempts like Orange Money [1] &
> MCB Juice [2] to encourage people effect payments using their mobile
> phones, which I assume a majority of Mauritians own one now. It's like 2
> years since their inception but they did not really kick off in Mauritius?
> Do people really complain about carrying a lot of money in Mauritius? If
> not, then it might not be considered as a problem. If you propose a
> solution to something which is "not considered a problem", then the
> solution isn't of great value.

Rightly said!

> I had a discussion with a friend who does not use mobile & internet
> banking services, but rather prefers going to the ATM when he needs money.
> He explained that in a way it helps him control his expenses. With too much
> facilities at removing/transferring money he will tend to spend quickly.
>
> A year ago, I was discussing about Credit Cards with a friend who just
> canceled his cards and applied for a pre-paid card. He said the credit card
> facility tends to make him spend at the slightest occasion. With a pre-paid
> card, he kinda restrains himself.
>
> Therefore, unless we have enough information on the market, whether
> something is considered a problem, we might not propose something effective.

This is about market research - checking what customers really need.
However, sometimes startups need to launch something to open up a new
market - like how Steve Jobs created the apps ecosystem.

--
Thanks & Regards,
*Suyash Sumaroo | Director*