Re: Uberization

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:33:24 +0400

Hi SM,

On 01/02/2016 12:35 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I haven't seen anyone talking about Uberization in Mauritius. Over the
> past year, I was curious about whether (local) people are aware of it.
> There are signs that Uberization has touched the shores of the island.
> It is not possible to estimate its impact on the island as there isn't
> any statistics about that.

I am yet to see any system that bridges the gap between demand and
supply in Mauritius, in the most efficient way.

> Uberization has a disruptive effect as it challenges the old ways of
> doing business by taking advantage of the possibilities that the
> internet offers. There are opportunities for Uberization on the island
> for anyone who can identify the inefficiencies of the systems and come
> up with ideas about how to compete and create a profitable business out
> of it. The technology is already available in Mauritius.

I would associate it with culture.

I am not as old, but from a recent past I have seen that Mauritius is
not keen at experimenting and as Yuv & Suyash agreed in a previous
thread, there is also the element to accept failure.

Uberization speaks a lot about real-time data on market demands and how
various players could chip-in to make the most out of it. You can setup
a business model if you have access to data that allow you to understand
the market. Unfortunately, in Mauritius, data itself is poorly understood.

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.