RE: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 00:05:47 -0800

Dear Mrs Chooromoney,

I suggested having the event after I received a message from Mr
Tamviki (
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4566.html
). There is an introduction by Mr Tamviki in that message. There is
a description of the event in the invitation which I sent to the
Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation (
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4640.html
). The event will be held on 4th January 2016 at 10:00 at LSL Digital.

I had a phone conversation with Mr Hawabhay and he suggested that I
invite Mr Bhoyroo. I apologize for the very short notice for the
invitation. There wasn't much time to organise the event. The
members of the discussion panel are:

     Mr Sten Tamkivi
     Mr Suraj Ramgolam
     Mr Denis Lacour
     Mr Donald Lim-Fat
     Mr Nitin Sookun
     Mr Vivek Mathur

The list of audience participants is at
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4645.html
The objective of the event is to foster engagement through a panel
discussion about start-ups in Mauritius. I allocated one hour for
panel discussion and 30 minutes for questions and answers. Given the
relatively large number of panelists, the time allocated to each
panelist will likely be less than five minutes.

LSL Digital kindly offered to provide a venue to the Mauritius
Internet Users for the event. I suggested having a person from LSL
Digital as the host for the panel discussion. The event is being
done without any funding. I'll describe LSL Digital as a sponsor as
it is providing the venue.

My objective is to get people interested in the start-up scene
together so that the persons can have a discussion about the start-up
scene in Mauritius. The agenda for the panel discussion is:

    Introduction
    What is a start-up?
    Estonian start-up experience
    Start-up success stories in Mauritius
    Start-up hurdles in Mauritius
    Questions & Answers

I work as a consultant for Eland Systems. I am a subject-matter
expert for email, web and a few other internet-related
technologies. I also do research related to security and privacy. I
don't usually organise panel discussions. I have a few years'
experience in chairing a difficult Working Group at the international
level and leading a Directorate of (international) subject-matter
experts. Please feel free to email me if any verifiable information
about that would be useful to the National Computer Board.

The target audience are persons in Mauritius with a strong interest
in having a start-up scene in Mauritius. If I had to list any
concern, I would say that there isn't a common understanding (in
Mauritius) about what is a start-up. As I saw two persons publicly
discussing about the lack of seed-funding, I'll list that as an
interest of the target audience.

Is the National Computer Board interested in participating in the event?