Re: Password bruteforce attempt

From: Nadim Bundhoo <nadim_at_devisprox.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:41:14 +0400

Hello Dr Usmani,
Hello Mr Bhoyroo,

On 23 December 2015 at 11:19, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr Bhoyroo,
>
> I am bringing the following to your attention as you are the Acting
> Executive Director of the National Computer Board.
>
> Mr Sookun sent an email [1] to Mr Usmani, Assistant Manager, CERT-MU, to
> ask for advice about a password bruteforce attempt on his web site. There
> wasn't any reply to that email. I took a quick look at the previous emails
> sent to Mr Usmani and I could not find any answer from the Mauritian
> National Computer Security Incident Response Team (CERT-MU).
>
> It seems that the CERT-MU is unable to provide any assistance when it
> receives a report about a security incident. Would the average person
> report security incidents [2][3] to CERT-MU when that happens? There are
> some statistics on November 2015 incidents reports to CERT-MU at
> http://cert-mu.govmu.org/English/PublishingImages/Banner/banner5.png A
> pie chart is misleading when it is based on a small number of incidents.
> How can the average person in Mauritius determine whether the pie chart
> displayed on cert-mu.govmu.org is not misleading?
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
>
> 1.
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4507.html
> 2. http://www.elandsys.com/~smsoftskills-mu-compromised.png
> 3. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/www-4sconstruction-mu-compromised.png

May I know when CERT-MU will be able to assist Mr Ish Sookun concerning the
"password bruteforce attempt" on his website. It's been a very long time (8
days) since he asked for assistance. I'm afraid, if any similar event
occurs on my server, I'll have to wait a very long time to get assistance
from CERT-MU.

Regards,
Nadim Attari