Re: Password bruteforce attempt

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 23:19:06 -0800

Dear Mr Bhoyroo,

I am bringing the following to your attention as you are the Acting
Executive Director of the National Computer Board.

Mr Sookun sent an email [1] to Mr Usmani, Assistant Manager, CERT-MU,
to ask for advice about a password bruteforce attempt on his web
site. There wasn't any reply to that email. I took a quick look at
the previous emails sent to Mr Usmani and I could not find any answer
from the Mauritian National Computer Security Incident Response
Team (CERT-MU).

It seems that the CERT-MU is unable to provide any assistance when it
receives a report about a security incident. Would the average
person report security incidents [2][3] to CERT-MU when that
happens? There are some statistics on November 2015 incidents
reports to CERT-MU at
http://cert-mu.govmu.org/English/PublishingImages/Banner/banner5.png
A pie chart is misleading when it is based on a small number of
incidents. How can the average person in Mauritius determine whether
the pie chart displayed on cert-mu.govmu.org is not misleading?

1.
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/12/4507.html
2. http://www.elandsys.com/~smsoftskills-mu-compromised.png
3. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/www-4sconstruction-mu-compromised.png