Re: Mailing list archives

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 00:30:35 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 12/20/2015 09:44 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> Every Mauritius Internet Users subscribers knew that their email
> addresses would be publicly available through the MIU Public Archive and
> nobody had a problem with that till some of us started receiving email
> from spammers. I understand your concerns. I would like to have
> consensus on this in order to take action and ask SM to mask the email
> addresses or not.

As stated in my previous email to SM, I am not in favour of masking
email addresses or names.

> I am personally against this because we usually discuss about internet
> related topics and should take full responsibility of the things we
> discuss. Plus, it will be easier for someone reading our views on the
> public archive to contact us without including the mailing list. I don't
> think it is appropriate for some of the subscribers to have masked email
> addresses and others with unmasked email addresses. This is why I would
> like to have a consensus and decide how we should operate.

I agree. I would also like to mention that in forums that SM & I have
represented the Mauritius Internet Users, SM stressed the fact MIU
operates in a transparent manner. Removing email addresses or names from
the messages in the public archive would not be a good example of
transparency.

> Please note that I would also consider the number of times the
> subscriber participated in our mailing list discussions before taking
> action in masking their email address (if we ever agree to mask email
> addresses).

Okay :)

Cheers,

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers